We have many opportunities for you to interact with our students and the community during the Lights On! Program. A few examples of how you can volunteer at Lights On! include:
- Play basketball with the students in the gymnasium
- Play board games with students in the game room
- Lead a financial literacy workshop
- Hold a panel with your colleagues about your college experience
- Host a resume writing workshop
- Bring your talents to teach the students something special such as yoga, zumba, calligraphy, cooking, cake decorating, etc.
If you’d like to see available dates and times for volunteering, please see the Jersey Cares website.
IN YOUR OFFICE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
If you aren’t able to make it to Newark during the Lights On! Program hours, you can also volunteer from the comfort of your office, university, place of worship or other location where you and your volunteers might meet. Here are some ways you can give back and then ship or deliver directly to West Side High School:
- Pack snack bags with individual serving size non-perishable items
- Assemble makeup bags for the cosmetology room
- Compile and create art supply and sewing kits
- Pack food kits for families to take home for weekend meals
- Host a basketball or sporting equipment drive to help us replace old equipment
- Hold a gift card drive so we can purchase new program supplies